UPDATE 9/10/2015 MCDONALDS HAS ANNOUNCED THAT THEY WILL PHASE IN CAGE FREE EGGS FOR ALL THEIR OUTLETS OVER 10 YEARS. ONLY 10% OF THE 75 BILLION EGGS CONSUMED IN THE USA ARE CAGE FREE BUT IT DOESN’T MEAN THEY ARE ORGANIC BECAUSE THEY ARE STILL RAISED IN BARNS WITHOUT SUNLIGHT. IF THEY ADD UV LIGHTS THAT EMITT THE RIGHT WAVE LENGTH, THEN THE CHICKENS WILL GET ENOUGH RAYS TO PRODUCE THE VITAMIN D THAT EGGS CONTAINED WHEN THEY WERE FARM YARD RAISED IN SUNLIGHT. ONE SMALL STEP FOR MCDONALDS
I was born and raised in Des Plaines Illinois and was a frequent visitor to the first McDonalds. It was when McDonalds sold mostly wholesome food. Over the past 50 years, the quality and nutrient base of the food we consume in the United States has deteriorated. In addition, too many chemicals have been added to the foods we consume. I applaud McDonalds decision to only buy human antibiotic*** free chicken. It is long overdue, and shows that McDonalds can be the leader in delivering more wholesome food to their customers and especially the children. Up until a few years ago, it was common for chicken farmers to give the potent antibiotic Cipro to their chickens. I applaud the Union of Concerned Scientists for taking action and having the practice stopped.
I don’t know why the FDA did not stop the practice.
I suggest that McDonalds should consider the following additional changes in food sourcing.
1. Reject all foods that have a GMO origin. They carry toxins not fit for human consumption
2. Use only non-GMO healthy cooking oils.
3. Eliminate all chemical artificial sweeteners. Offer only natural sweeteners.
4. Eliminate corn syrup based products as much as possible. We consume too much sugar/corn syrup in
this country to the tune of 160 pounds per year per capita.
5. Take the rubber plasticizers out of the bread. We don’t need azodicarbonamide in bread.
6. Use only Vitamin D rich eggs which mean no factory farm eggs from chickens raised in artificial light.
7. Offer more caffeine free drinks for consumption by children. Help prevent ADD.
8. Eliminate Barq’s Root beer with caffeine. It was caffeine free till Coke bought them.
9. Label the amount of caffeine in the drinks you sell.
10. Don’t add dextrose, to your French fries which is converted Acrylamide
Your customers have the right to know what they are consuming and the ability to reject those foods that are unhealthy. McDonalds has taken the first small step in becoming socially responsible and helping improve the health of millions of Americans. I encourage McDonalds to show more leadership and help this nation to become healthy again as it was in the 1950’s.
***The chickens are still being raised in artificial light in crowded indoor barns and the antibiotic ionophores is added to chicken feed which is not approved for human consumption, but is required to prevent chicken diseases to develop because of the crowded conditions that the chickens are raised in. They also add an ingredient to the chicken feed which compensates for the lack of vitamin D due to the chickens being raised in artificial light. It prevents the chickens from having weak bones and breaking legs.
The following video by Michael Polin discusses how McDonalds French Fries